Research Technician III - Turfgrass Research Plot Manager
Regular Full-time, Pay Range MR03
Faculty in the Turfgrass Science & Management program are seeking a passionate individual to join their team. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintenance of turfgrass research plots at the East TN AgResearch & Education Center – Plant Sciences Unit (ETREC). Primary duties will include mowing of 12 acres of warm- and cool-season turfgrass research plots, managing irrigation on plot areas, application of crop protectants to control weed, disease, and insect pests on research plots, as well as administration of maintenance practices including (but not limited to) fertilization, topdressing, and cultivation. Additionally, the successful candidate will assist with construction/renovation projects reliant on turfgrass sod and/or sprigs. There is an expectation that this individual will interface with all turfgrass faculty programs to deliver surfaces of optimal quality that further research efforts at the facility. Additionally, the candidate will be expected to manage undergraduate student labor to achieve their goals in plot maintenance.
- General knowledge of management practices used to care for turfgrasses on golf courses, sports fields, and lawns. Bachelors of Science degree preferred in Plant Sciences, Agronomy, Crop & Soil Science, Horticulture, or related field.
- A successful candidate must have the ability to operate mowing equipment used to care for turfgrass on golf courses, sports fields, and lawns.
- A successful candidate must have the ability to operate spray equipment used to care for turfgrass on golf courses, sports fields, and lawns.
- A successful candidate must have the ability to conduct basic operational maintenance and repair of mowing, spray, and irrigation equipment used to care for turfgrass on golf courses, sports fields, and lawns.
- Preference will be given to applicants with two years of experience working in the turfgrass industry, including one year of experience maintaining turfgrass on golf courses, sports fields, lawns, or sod farms.
- The position requires excellent written and oral communication skills as the plot manager is expected to communicate with turfgrass faculty to develop and implement a comprehensive management plan for the turfgrass research plots at ETREC. This will include maintaining inventory of supplies needed for plot maintenance and managing undergraduate student workers.
- The applicant must be willing to work in a team environment with a diversity of people.
Interested applicants should apply at http://hr.utk.edu/recruitment/ and attach 1) a cover letter stating their experience in the turfgrass industry; 2) a resume; and 3) the names, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of three references.
Plant Science - Res
Campus / Institute
Institute of Agriculture
February 11, 2021
For more information or to apply for this job, click here.