Town of Smyrna
CLASSIFICATION TITLE: Assistant Superintendent
REVISION DATE: 01/25/2021
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-Time
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Hiring Range: $34,253 - $37,678
Full Range: $34,253 – $51,380
This classification is responsible for providing management assistance and support to the Golf Course Superintendent in maintaining the golf course grounds, facilities, and equipment. Duties and responsibilities include supervising staff, managing staff work tasks, preparing and reviewing chemical application records, applying chemicals to golf course, and
performing various grounds maintenance tasks. Reports to Golf Course Superintendent.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Supervises staff to ensure work assignments are completed. Establishes work priorities and needs, coordinates work, delegates assignments and determines project goals, time frames and standards.
- Evaluates employee performance levels and assigned tasks.
- Trains employees on safe and proper work methods and equipment.
- Performs various grounds maintenance tasks to the golf course. Applies fertilizer and seed to turf areas. Clears brush and trees. Mows right of ways, fairways, greens, and other golf course areas. Plants flowers, shrubs, and trees. Waters and fertilizes plants; prunes trees and shrubs; weeds flower beds; aerates greens and other designated areas.
- Performs minor mechanical repairs and performs routine preventive maintenance to small gasoline engines in tractors, mowers, pumps, trucksters, trucks, etc. Lubricates moving parts and checks fluid levels.
- Tracks leased equipment for maintenance purposes.
- Assists in repair of irrigation lines.
- Oversees daily maintenance operations and reviews records reflecting work performed, problems encountered, equipment check-in/out, parts used and other required information.
- Prepares and reviews chemical application records, inspects and calibrates equipment used for chemical applications.
- Operates tractors, aerators, bunker machines, triplex mowers, rotary mowers, single reel mowers, field rakes, trucks and trailers and related equipment; does pre-service to equipment operated. ∙ Maintains records in compliance to Federal, State, and City regulations.
- Works safely observing all OSHA, Federal, State, and City regulations. Reports any accidents immediately to Manager.
- Correctly wears appropriate personal protective equipment when required.
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment. Report any malfunctioning equipment to Supervisor. ∙ Conducts behavior at all times in a professional manner to reflect positively on customer’s perception of town facility.
- Helps maintain the cleanliness of machines, work area and facility. Reports incidents, or malfunctioning equipment to the Manager.
- Assists weekend Managers by leading grounds crew in assigned tasks as needed.
- Any other duties as assigned by Supervisor
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Continues professional growth through seminars, professional organizations, and training classes.
- Maintain records in compliance to Federal, State, and City regulations.
- Ensure all employees adhere to all internal and external OSHA regulations and Town safety policies.
- Provide coverage in absence of other personnel.
- Assist in the cross training of department employees to other positions for coverage in absence of personnel.
- Provides coverage in absence of other personnel.
- Promotes the positive teamwork environment.
Must have the following:
- Must be at least 18 years of age and
- Must possess a valid State-Issued Driver’s License.
- Must have a High school diploma or GED.
- Must have one of the following:
- One to three years’ experience reflecting a comprehensive knowledge of course supervision ∙ Associates Degree in turfgrass maintenance, agronomy, forestry or related program with 1 to 3 years experience in golf course supervision.
- Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Supplemental post-secondary course work in agronomy, forestry, or related program preferred.
- Licenses & Certifications:
- State Pesticide Applicator’s License - Must currently possess or be able to obtain within one year of employment.
- National and State Golf Course Superintendent’ Association - Must be a member or be able to obtain membership within one year of employment.
- Longevity and Merit Pay
- Paid Time Off (vacation & sick combined) = 18 days and increases with Longevity
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance Options
- GCSAA and Chapter dues
- 401/457b Retirement Accounts with Match Benefit
- Education Reimbursement Program
Send resume and/or questions to Director of Golf, Hal Loflin (email@example.com
) and to Golf Course Superintendent, Jerry Baskin (firstname.lastname@example.org