CITY OF JACKSONJOB POSTING NOTICE
JOB TITLE: SPORTS TURF SPECIALIST
DEPARTMENT: WEST TN HEALTHCARE SPORTSPLEX
FULL TIME: YES
GRADE: 09H (RATE OF PAY: $15.57)
The person employed in this capacity will perform his/her duties under the direction of the Superintendent of Turf. The Turf Specialist will perform all duties required to maintain a sand base and native soil Bermuda grass fields at the Sportsplex. Must be available to work Nights, Weekends and on Holidays.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ability to supervise and assign duties to part-time, seasonal interns and weekend employees.
- Perform skilled/manual work functions related to the maintenance and operation of athletic fields.
- Responsible for maintenance of high quality equipment in order to extend the useful life to minimize repair and replacement cost.
- Assist in the maintenance and repair of the playing fields; pregame field prep, tarp handling and field set up.
- Open and close, lock and unlock facilities as needed.
- Keep records of work completed.
- Knowledge of proper seeding, fertilizing, top dressing, soil conditioning, proper water management, pest, disease and weed control.
- Assist in setting up and taking down equipment for various functions and programs.
- Collect and dispose of solid waste from buildings and grounds; pick up litter from premises.
- Ability to work in inclement weather conditions.
- Assist in keeping maintenance shop area clean and organized at all times.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Pickup truck, lawn and landscaping equipment, including tractors, mowers, chainsaw, edgers, weed trimmers, sprinklers, irrigation systems, miscellaneous hand and power tools for turf maintenance, carpentry and painting; janitorial equipment including mops, brooms and dusting equipment.
- Some knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies used in ground and turf maintenance.
- Some knowledge of equipment and supplies used to do minor repairs.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, DEGREES, CERTIFICATES, AND/OR LICENSE:
- An Associate or Bachelor degree in Field/Turf management or a related field or previous experience maintaining athletic fields.
- Valid Driver’s License.
EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Some knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies used in sports turf and grounds maintenance; some knowledge of equipment and supplies used to do minor repairs.
- Ability to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedule; ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time and to perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely.
- Ability to understand, follow, and transmit written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, and the public.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; and use hands to finger, handle, feel, operate objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works in high, precarious places and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
City of Jackson, Personnel Department
127 E. Main Street, Ste. 303
Jackson, TN 38301
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED BEGINNING WEDNESDAY, JULY 17, 2019 AND ENDING WEDNESDAY, JULY 31, 2019